Author Topic: Vol 7 DVD failure  (Read 7751 times)

malc_yorks

• Email
Vol 7 DVD failure
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:26:04 pm »
I have the boxed set of Playsims/Horizon VFR Photographic Scenery Vol 7 Scotland Central but DVD 1 just won't read, I have tried it on several computers so it isn't a drive fault - is there any way to get buy a replacement DVD1? (I had installed it before but this is a rebuilt computer.)

TonyM

• Email
Re: Vol 7 DVD failure
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:08:19 am »
Hi Malc_York,
I can't help with disc replacement but can advise from experience that cleaning the discs with a good quality spectacle lens cleaner has worked for me in the past.

Don't soak the disc just use a soft cloth with the cleaner as though cleaning spectacles. If that doesn't work you could try copying all the disc contents to a single folder and running the install from there. For some reason copying the discs works where 'running' the install won't.

Regards,

Tony

malc_yorks

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 02:36:01 pm »
Thanks for that Tony.  I didn't need to clean the disc (maybe I'll have a go sometime) - I decided to leave the disc in and the installer trying to work, so overnight my drive was chuntering / chattering away and this morning I found the on the computer screen the installer asking for disc2 - the install completed fine with the other discs.  I have not had a good try flying over all of the area of Vol7 to see if the areas covered by the first 10 or so cab files are ok, however my FSX runs fine and I would expect a crash if there were problems with the scenery files.

My system reports that the installed Vol7 file structure is 37.4GB with 918 files and 11 folders, is there any way someone could confirm that that seems correct?

Thanks again

Malcolm

(Now time to work out treescapes now that ESI have gone and then I can install Scotflight ... I don't suppose anyone is looking at making a treescapes for Vol7? ) 

TonyM

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 12:58:31 pm »
Hi Malc_York,
I can't give you the figures your requesting as I have ES Volume 6.1 covering a part of the Volume 7 area. That during install removes overlapping Vol 7 files and I have previously binned those to save space.

Anyone else reading who can assist please do.

If you want the patch files for Volume 7 you can get them from my web site: -
www.arm-computers.co.uk

Regards

Tony

malc_yorks

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:13:45 am »
Thanks for that Tony, yes I have all the patches etc from your website.

I have come to the conclusion that Horizons VFR doesn't like living in the same FSX as Orbx and Pilot's Global products - no matter what is active / priorities / etc the load for anywhere in the south of Scotland just hangs for an absolute age.

So I have decided to have two FSX installations - the Steam Edition one will have all Orbx and Global and a separate FSX on another SSD will be used purely for VFR in Scotland - so it is hands back in the wallet to buy the Scotflight for Orbx bundle.

I hope not to have any issues installing both Scotflight products on the same computer but different  FSX / SSD's.

TonyM

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 05:12:47 pm »
Hi Malc_York,
I'm not an install Guru for Scotflight products but experience has taught me that you can't better an installer made by Iain M. I'm sure if you ask the question you will get all the information you need.

For the information of anyone reading this can I advise that the agreement between Scotflight, myself and Horizon Simulations to supply out of print Photo Scenery products expired at 00.01 hrs 01/05/16.

I can advise that Horizon are looking at various media options, possibly including download to keep their full scenery catalogue available for sale.

Anyone wishing to express an interest can contact Horizon via: http://www.horizonsimulation.com

Tony