Author Topic: Correct Upgrade Procedure  (Read 8904 times)

Cruachan

Correct Upgrade Procedure
« on: February 01, 2010, 03:13:07 pm »
Hi Iain,

I'm feeling just a wee bit confused...so what's new! LOL

I've been away from FSX for a while and on revisiting this excellent site came across an upgrade for the Scotflight RAF Collection: RAF13Upgrade.exe

The installer tells me to uninstall ALL the previous versions before installing this Upgrade.

Referring to the list of Scotflight entries under Add or Remove Programs I see the following:

Scotflight FSX: Highlands and Islands
Scotflight RAF Collection Update 1.2
Scotflight RAF for FS2004 1.0
Scotflight RAF for FSX 1.12
ScotflightFSXVol2_Upgrade

My confusion arises because on referring to my archive of backups I have the following installer updates for RAF Airfields:

ScotflightRAF-FSX-Setup-V1-12.exe
ScotflightRAF-FSX-Update-V1-2.exe

This implies, of course, that I have installed V1.2 (I am assuming 'V1-2' means V1.2 and not an upgrade from version 1 to version 2).

So my question relates to the entry Scotflight RAF Collection Update 1.2 in Add or Remove Programs. Was this an FSX update?

If the answer is 'Yes' then can I assume that I should uninstall both Scotflight RAF for FSX 1.12 and Scotflight RAF Collection Update 1.2 before attempting to upgrade using the installer RAF13Upgrade.exe?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Mike

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:16:39 pm by Cruachan »

iaing

Re: Correct Upgrade Procedure
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 08:33:36 am »
Hi Mike

Where customers have both the RAFCollection and ScotflightFSXVol2 we are recommending,  for full compatibility,  that both sceneries are updated with a fresh install. 
An update for ScotflightFSXVol2 is also about to be added to our 'upgrades' section,  so I would wait until that is available also,  before proceeding.  The update to ScotflightFSXVol2 will also add some extra features.
Sorry for the confusion,  I think we need to further clarify this situation on our site.
We will let you know on here when all the updates are available ( due this week ) and give instructions on the versions to be un-installed.

IainG

Cruachan

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:26:19 am »
Hi Iain,

Thanks, I will do as you recommend and hang on.

Best regards,

Mike

Cruachan

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 04:39:09 pm »
Okay, Iain, I now have the new installers:

RAF13Upgrade.exe
ScoFSX-S-V20-V21Upgrade.zip

What do you advise I should do now, keeping in mind the content of my original post?

Can I take the easy route and just install these upgrades over the existing installation? I'm quite comfortable working with Scenery.cfg, so, if it's just a matter of conflicting entries appearing in the Scenery.cfg file when these updates are installed then I can cope with that quite easily.

On the other hand, if you are recommending a clean install to avoid having any redundant files from earlier versions being present then can you take me by the hand please :( and advise:

1. The correct uninstall order of RAF and H&I to avoid errors/redundant entries in Add or Remove programs (XP Home SP3).
2. The correct files to use for the reinstallation of H&I up to and including version 2.1

Sorry to be a pain, but I can understand how much easier it must be for those who have not been installing the free upgrades but already have, in the case of H&I, an installer for Vol 2 (version 2?) which incorporates all the previous updates since the original release.

Best regards,

Mike

iaing

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:11 am »
Hi Mike

The basic file structure for each product has changed,   so a full re-install is needed in each case.  The updates will do that for you.
Your conclusions reached in your original posting regarding the un-install of the RAF scenery are correct.
The un-install of ScotflightFSX should be done likewise,  un-installing the latest files first and moving back until all scenery has been cleared.

You then need to download the relative update from here:-

http://www.scotflightscenery.com/Upgrades.htm

In each case you will require the key code supplied with the original purchase from ourselves or if you upgraded to ScotflightFSXVol2 from Scotflight Highlands & Islands you need to apply for a new key through the lostkeys support or to myself direct.

Hope this helps.

IainG

Cruachan

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:25:41 am »
Hi Iain,

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Mike :)