Author Topic: Problems with Kinloss scenery  (Read 12230 times)

impearse

Problems with Kinloss scenery
« on: March 27, 2010, 11:11:09 am »
I have been using the RAF Collection for a while, but usually Lossiemouth. I've started flying the Nimrod (courtsey of UKMIL) out of Kinloss and getting problems with the scenery. I get green grass textures bleeding through the runway - mainly at the 26 end. Looks very odd but doesn't seem to affect the take-off or landing run.

The major problem is FS crashing. Sometimes I can't even load a flight, sometimes I'll be busy doing the pre-flight, but FS will just disappear. No error message, nothing useful in the Event Viewer either. Have you heard of this before? Any ideas on what might be causing it? I'm running v1.12 on FS9, on  Vista 64-bit PC.

iaing

Re: Problems with Kinloss scenery
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 04:14:08 pm »
Hi

If my memory serves me correctly we had reports of problems at Kinloss in the early stages of our product and the cause was down to another add-on being installed which covered the airfield.
Is that possible?

IainG
Scotflight

impearse

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:31:44 pm »
I've been through the scenery database and I'm positive there are no other scenery items installed except, maybe, the default. I can't find where the default scenery for Kinloss is set up otherwise I'd try and drop that out too. Any ideas?

iaing

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:39:39 pm »
Hi

Can you try a night flight starting at Kinloss and see if you still have problems.
For the bleed through,  do you have an add-on mesh terrain installed by any chance?

IainG
Scotflight

impearse

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 08:51:21 pm »
I have FS Global SE loaded - do you think that could be causing the bleed? I will try a night flight and see how it goes.

I have tried a short night setup - stable so far but  need to test it for a bit longer.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:14:50 pm by impearse »

iaing

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:50:09 pm »
Hi

Are you able to temporarily de-activate FS Global in your Scenery Library and test how things look at Kinloss?

IainG
Scotflight

impearse

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:36:39 pm »
I'll give it a go and see what happens. Thanks for the assist, by the way.

impearse

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:43:39 pm »
Well, one result. Disabling the FS Global Europe scenery mesh seems to have stopped the grass texture bleed into the runway.

impearse

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 06:42:17 pm »
I've had the scenery stable for over 40 minutes on a nighttime setting, but still crashing after random intervals in daylight. Could it be a weather update or something? I use the FS9 Real-Weather with updates setting.

impearse

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:33:26 pm »
 :(  It's spreading... I was playing around with a Tornado out of Lossie the other night and got the same symptom as I am getting with Kinloss. Set the flight up, did my pre-flight, taxied to the active, then FS just vanished. Something must be interfering with the scenery, but damned if I can work out what...

iaing

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:15:13 pm »
Hi

Again I would suggest trying out some night time flying where you are finding problems.
What we have found on quite a number of occasions is that users don't have a full set of FS2004 default textures or have some corrupt default textures and that has been a cause of the type of problems you have been experiencing.  In the case of these problem textures,  we have found that night flying is not affected.
If you can not identify any other cause of your problems then my suggestion would be to re-install the FS2004 default textures.
This link here,  although not covering your problem directly does discuss the re-installing of the textures:- http://www.visualflight.co.uk/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8938
Please keep us advised of any progress.

Iain
Scotflight

impearse

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 08:23:59 pm »
Iain, thanks for the link. I need to get a membeship for Visual Flight, but I'll check that out as soon as I get the chance and get back to you. Might be a while as I'm just about to go on holiday...
Do you know which of the CAB files I need? There isn't an obvious one on disc 4 - could be on one of the others of course.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 08:51:19 pm by impearse »