Author Topic: Vista 64bit  (Read 20665 times)

sammch

Vista 64bit
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:43:17 am »
Hello,
        I would be very grateful to any advice or comments about installing the RAF collection on a Vista  64bit system. I have a new PC with this system, I have the  RAF collection on my other 32bit XP system PC`s and I am delighted with Kinloss and Lossiemouth, I am having a little difficulty in installing on my Vista 64bit FS2004, however it could be finger trouble on my part, as I do find all scenery sometimes tricky to install. I will try again and come back to inform of the results.     

chasordod

• Testers - ORBX
Re: Vista 64bit
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:11:20 pm »
Hi Sammch,

Can you be more specific about what problems you are having installing the RAF collection on your Vista 64-bit system?

I have a Vista 64 bit system with FSX and have had no problems installing RAF collection for FSX. The only difference you should see from an XP system is that, if you have User Account Control active, you will probably be asked to permit the install application to continue after first starting it.

I don't currently have FS2004 on my Vista 64 system, but have done so previously and, again, RAF collection 2004 installed without problems.

Charles

sammch

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:22:10 pm »
Hello Charles,
                    Thanks for the quick response to my query , my problem was that I installed the Kinloss Airbase, that was ok, I then tried to install the Lossiemouth base but that was only partial with texture missing and hangers over runways, I then uninstalled on the control panel the RAF Collection folder, I then started FS2004 and got the messages telling me that the Scot scenery folders could not be found, I went into the settings Scenery Library andfound the Scotflight folders were still there. I tried to remove the scenery folders manually using the FS2004 procedure , but I was unable to remove the Scot flight scenery files and later found out I could not remove any scenery. I have only just bought this PC and ofcourse the problem could be me, I have since removed all the addons and uninstalled FS2004, to start again. You have given me hope in that FS2004 does work on a Vista 64bit system, some of my Aircraft mainly Flight 1 software, namely the 727 Greatest Aeroplanes and the SST Concorde would not run, I did try to install using the Adminster rights command but was unable to install, I therefore thought that maybe the Scotflight scenery was the same. I was not happy I must admit with display on FS2004 and after tryng all different settings  both screen and frame rates did get a reasonable display still not as good as on my PC`s with XP 32bit. By the way this is not a post critising SCotflight I am delighted with all Scotflight scenery, I will now try again and let you have my feed back. Thank you for your time and interest... Stan

administrator

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:59 pm »
Hi Stan

I can't help at all with the Vista installation as I am using XP but I am a little confused in that you seem to be suggesting installing the bases on an individual basis whereas the installation covers all the bases in one fell swoop.

IainG
Scotflight
Regards,

Scotflight Forum Administrator.

chasordod

• Testers - ORBX
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 11:32:02 am »
Hi Stan,

As IainG, I don't know how to help as I can't quite figure out what you've been trying to do.

Reading your post, I think completely uninstalling addons and FS2004 was probably the best course of action you could take.

As Iain suggests, I too would strongly advise that you follow FS2004 re-install by using the RAF Collection 2004 installer exactly as it's meant to be used. It should be fully compatible with Vista 64 bit.

On the general question of Vista 64 compatibility, I have had very few problems installing reasonably recent FS2004 addons. Occasionally I have had to use either 'XP compatibility mode' or 'run as administrator mode' for an installer, but not for any Scotflight installers.

Among those installers that have failed to run on Vista 64 are a couple of older Flight 1 wrappers for their aircraft products. You would have to contact them to see if there are updated wrappers for those you have had problems with.

Charles

charliebrown

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 02:26:29 pm »
Hi Charles

Occasionally I have had to use either 'XP compatibility mode' ....

I did not know that Vista could be run in a 'XP compatibility mode'.

Could you let me know how to go about running Vista in 'XP compatibility mode'  as I have some expensive audio editing software that will not run in Vista.

Charlie

chasordod

• Testers - ORBX
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 03:43:54 pm »
Hi Charlie,

If you right-click on the icon that starts your software, and select 'properties' on the dialogue box you get, you should get the choice of several tabs - one of these is 'compatibility'. If you select this, you can choose from a number of compatibilty modes to run the program - one of these is XP(SP2).

It's worked for me a few times - but not always. :)

Good luck.

Charles

sammch

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:55:03 pm »
My thanks to every one who replied to my post, believe me it was appreciated, I wont bore you all with the details but I was not carrying out the correct procedure, I had installed the RAF 
Collection a few weeks before on my XP32bit PC`s with no problem, I forgot how to install, my excuse totally bamboozeled with the Vista program and procedures, it will take some time to get my head around operating Vista. Suffice to say I have  Lossiemouth and Kinloss on my system in both FSX and FS9, again my thanks to all, also thank you for the info concerning Vista compatibility,
                      Stan 

charliebrown

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 11:50:56 pm »
Hi Charles

Thanks for details of running Vista in 'XP compatibility mode'.  :)

Will give it a try tomorrow.

Charlie

chasordod

• Testers - ORBX
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 01:29:13 pm »
Hi Stan,

Just one question - you do have Leuchars installed as well as Lossiemouth and Kinloss, don't you?

Charles

sammch

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 09:23:13 pm »
Hello Charles,
                    Well no , I do not have Leuchers, I just have Lossiemouth and Kinloss, with the AI packages from UKMIL, I have Tornado F3s, Nimrod MR2s and occaisionally a Seaking takes off from Lossiemouth, I also have a visiting VC10 and Tristar AIs from Brize Norton. All seems to work well certainly on my XP systems, I am now getting every thing going on Vista, I find in Vista 64bit the scenery is very dense and dark I am experimenting with the settings. In FSX I find Vista64bit is excellent Dave Maltby`s freeware VC10s and Tridents work fine, I even now have my SST Concorde loaded on FS9 after I visited the forum and found out I had to download the latest software setup exec, they have made the drivers Vista compatible. All in all things seem to working alright are you going to tell me that I should have the full package to get the best results, actually I have RAF Leuchers by another developer with that scenery AIs. I regularly fly my aircraft between all three, the scenery is marvellous especially in FSX Vista 64 . All seems to well, I will however be grateful to any adivce .
                                  Stan

chasordod

• Testers - ORBX
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 11:08:37 am »
Hi Stan,

Now I'm a bit puzzled. Unless you direct otherwise, running either of the Scotflight RAF Collection installers I have adds scenery for all three airfields - Leuchars, Lossiemouth, and Kinloss - to folders in C:\Program Files\Scotflight. It also updates your scenery.cfg file accordingly. There is no option to install a subset of these airfields.

I don't understand how you could end up with Lossiemouth and Kinloss, but no Leuchars, by using the Scotflight RAF Collection installer.

Charles

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:13:39 am by chasordod »

administrator

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 01:29:21 pm »
Hi Charles & Stan

Yes,  I am puzzled as well to be honest.
I am presuming Stan you are referring to the UKMil Leuchars for FS2004,  but unless  you have manually removed all the Scotflight files calling Leuchars scenery then you will have Scotflight version of Leuchars running,  possibly as well as the other one ???.  I have the UKMIL installed but not activated at the moment but I did test earlier on compatibilty and without something extra being done,  such as a big exclude being added,  you could not have a correct display of scenery with them both activated.

IainG 
Regards,

sammch

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 12:10:28 am »
Hello Everyone,
                      Now I have started something, I have the Alphasim Payware Luechars, along with the AI,s that come with it. Right, I will send a Screen shot of Lossiemouth and KinLoss, thats when i figure out to do it, its late now, so i am in no mood to sort things out I will be in touch, I thank you all for your interest.
                                    Stan

administrator

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 12:49:37 pm »
Hi Stan

No disrespect to Alphasim,  but having seen their gallery of screenshots for Leuchars the scenery is far short of the detail available from Scotflight.
We have provided highly detailed scenery for Kinloss and Lossiemouth but Leuchars,  I would regard,  as the 'jewel' of the collection due to local knowledge and much help from within.
I would strongly suggest having a comparison.  I appreciate you are looking at the AI traffic provided by the Alphasim product but I am sure with a little moving of flightplans that traffic with their aircraft could be flying from Scotflight's Leuchars.

IainG
Scotflight
Regards,