Author Topic: Scotflight for Orbx v1.0 and Prepar3D v2.1  (Read 7750 times)

Cruachan

Scotflight for Orbx v1.0 and Prepar3D v2.1
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:55:57 am »
Hi Iain,

I've just installed 'FTX EU Scotland', the 'FTX EU Scotland Patch 001' and the latest 'FTX ORBX LIBRARIES' into a nicely performing Prepar3D v2.1 with the recent Hotfix 1.

I've preserved Prepar3D v1.4 with Horizon's Scotland Photoscenery (complete coverage), Scotflight Photo and Earth Simulation's Scotland Treescapes - great combination of products! However, currently my attention is on Prepar3D v2.1 which, quite clearly, is now showing the greatest potential for future development.

Like an idiot this fool has rushed in and purchased 'Scotflight for Orbx v1.0' before researching the position as regards compatibility with Prepar3D v2.1. I note that there may be a degree of compatibility, but this is not yet complete.

Is it worth my installing 'Scotflight for Orbx v1.0' now and, if I do, is it likely to cause any show stopping problems?

When you release the fully compatible version of 'Scotflight for Orbx' in Prepar3D v2.1 will my purchase of 'Scotflight for Orbx v1.0' entitle me to access the update/s without incurring additional expenditure?

Orbx's FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector and PILOT'S-FS Global 2010 FTX Compatible are also installed in my Prepar3D v2.1 to provide enhanced coverage for the rest of the globe.

Best regards,
Mike

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 07:29:32 pm by Cruachan »

iaing

Re: Scotflight for Orbx v1.0 and Prepar3D v2.1
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:12:08 pm »
Hi Mike

Existing customers who have purchased a full version of Scotflight FSX have been offered our current Orbx compatible product as a freebie and therefore I have duly refunded the purchase price to you.
If we reach a stage where we can offer this product as fully P3D2 compatible then it would not be our intention to make a further charge to existing customers.

Regards
Iain
Scotflight

Cruachan

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:52:42 am »
Hi Iain,

Actually I wasn't aware of the refund offer and, really, it wasn't necessary as I was quite happy to pay for it pending the release of the Prepar3D v2 compatible version. However, I do appreciate the gesture and thank you very much for your kind generosity.

Is there any point in my attempting an install of v1.0 or can I expect too many issues?

I do have to say that the ORBX FTX EU Scotland scenery is pretty impressive - so much nicer and more colourful than Horizon's photoscenery. At long last, Scotland actually looks like Scotland. Now, all it needs, Iain, is your Scotflight wizadry to make it perfect :) BTW, I notice that ORBX have included the Cockenzie Power Station which has been missing from Scotflight Photo.

One issue encountered this evening - 2 x Out Of Memory messages followed by simulator crashes. I've read of others being plagued by this issue, and I believe LM are currently looking into it, but this is the first time ever that I've experienced it :( I think it may be due to the high autogen settings in the sim as recommended by ORBX and this is in some way leading to saturation of the 4GB virtual address space. One day, hopefully, there will be a move away from 32bit to a 64bit version of the sim. Meantime more conservative autogen settings, I think, will have to be the order of the day.

Regards,
Mike

iaing

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 03:56:12 pm »
Hi Mike

With regard to P3D version2/2.1 this has been a massive step backwards in terms of scenery design for Scotflight.  Our products appeared to work pretty well with version 1.4 but now we have some older objects that display but cause serious graphical problems and a lot of perfectly acceptable FS2004 models that don't display at all.  There is a lot of updating to do.
I would not recommend trying to use our Orbx compatible product in P3D2.  On that basis alone I was prepared to refund the purchase price.

Regards
Iain
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:34:32 pm by iaing »

Cruachan

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 05:10:14 pm »
Hi Iain,

Thanks for the explanation. Don't you just love it when the goal posts are moved...yet again, lady luck is against you and this time you are faced with a mountain of work to again achieve compatibility. Doesn't help, I'm sure, when customers start to criticise or express their impatience and frustrations when solutions are not provided immediately. You have so many platforms to address and I really don't know how you manage to maintain your enthusiasm for the task. It must be a labour of love, though, at times, you must be sorely tempted see it as a love-hate relationship.

Right now there is much anxiety being voiced by certain members of the Prepar3D community as LM appear to have gone silent, for reasons as yet unknown, and nobody knows what's happening. It's such a pity as hitherto their approach towards communication with their customers was refreshingly forthcoming, open and friendly. Doubtless the silence will break when they are good and ready. Iain, you can be proud of the support offered here at Scotflight and rarely do we encounter a cross word :)

I do hope you will, in time, manage to create something for those of us who are in the process of migrating over to Prepar3D v2. For all it's faults it, quite evidently, does promise to be the sim of the future. ORBX FTX EU Scotland is, without any doubt, a visual treat but, speaking personally, I'm missing everything Scotflight can offer to make that experience truly great.

Regards,
Mike
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:02:15 am by Cruachan »

iaing

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:15:25 pm »
Hi Mike

I have tried to contact you by PM,  but had no response.
I am looking for info that might help us get our Orbx compatible product running in P3D 2.1.

Regards
Iain

Cruachan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 12:03:57 am »
Hi Iain,

Sorry about the delay, but I've been a bit tied up today. My response should appear in your inbox very shortly.

Regards,
Mike

iaing

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 02:31:25 pm »
Hi Mike

Thanks for your responses.

Regards
Iain