Author Topic: Scotflight FSX Photo v2.2 airport levels  (Read 13305 times)

mervynh

Scotflight FSX Photo v2.2 airport levels
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:32:26 pm »
Hi,
Having flown around with the new Scotflight FSX Photo v2.2 over Orkney and the north of Shetland I have now tried a flight from Sumburgh. Starting at the gate it was immediately obvious that something was wrong as some, not all, parked aircraft were several feet above the apron
level along with all the other Scotflight airport scenery -buildings, signs etc. I taxied to the runway and on viewing from outside the aircraft it was apparent that aprons, taxiways and runway surfaces were at a lower level than other aspects of the scenery including some but not all parked aircraft. Screenshots below (hopefully) show the view at aircraft level and from slightly above when the ground level becomes that of the photoscenery and only the tailfin of my BN Islander is visible. The difference in level is about 12 feet. Though the scenery detail is lower it is similar at Lerwick (Tingwall). I have not noticed problems at any other airfields in Orkney and Shetland including the more complex Scatsta and Kirkwall (I haven't yet flown to Fair Isle).
Some time after installing the O & S Photoscenery, some of the beta testers for the photoscenery provided a set of O & S airfields etc. modified for alignment with the photoscenery V5 imagery and mesh via the Playsims forum which required many of the original Playsims Photoscenery airfield scenery files (as well as some Scotflight Photo v2.1 files) to be moved to a backup folder. I thought I had reversed this process but did it after uninstalling of Scotflight Photo v2.1 and prior to installing the Scotflight Photo v2.2. I did not reinstate the backed up Scotflight v2.1 files as v2.1 had been uninstalled. The O & S addons were of course disabled in the FSX Scenery library and the Scotflight entries are above the photoscenery v4 and v5 files in the library.
With the previously backed up Playsims files removed from their original folder there is no change. Temporarily moving all the Scotflight entries relating to Sumburgh to a backup folder produced the aspect seen in the third screenshot.
Is it possible a files or files has been left out? I note several of the AF2 files, including those relating to Tingwall and Sumburgh, in v2.1 do not appear to have counterparts in my installation of v2.2.

Mervyn
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:14:17 pm by mervynh »

mervynh

Re: Scotflight FSX Photo v2.2 airport levels
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:39:07 pm »
Hi,

Sorry the images aren't displaying. I don't seem to be able to access my homepage (at ntlworld.com) directly at the moment, though the upload worked and images on another forum still seem to be accessible. Will try again later.

Mervyn

iaing

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »
Hi Mervyn

Without seeing your screenshots I have to say that ScotflightFSX2.2 was extensively tested in conjunction with the Horizon photo scenery and with a clean install of both products the problems you are seeing were not in evidence.
I can only conclude that something in your install or un-install of the freeware files is now causing your problems.  I could see that the install of the freeware files in conjunction with an existing install of Scotflight entailed a great deal of movement of files and possibly you have a problem in the re-instatement of these files.
Version 2.2 upgrade in fact gives you a full product install so I would suggest un-installing whatever you have for ScotflightFSX at the moment and then use 2.2 upgrade to carry out a fresh install.   I assume there is no un-install procedure built into the freeware product so just make sure you have deleted all their files,  paying particular attention to any files they have asked you to place in FSX/Scenery/World/Scenery.  This last mentioned set of files is mostly likely to be the cause of your problems.

Iain
Scotflight

mervynh

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:19:18 pm »
Hi Iain,

Thanks for your reply and the tip about the fsx/scenery/world/scenery folder. I had overlooked that the freeware installation had required files other than traffic files to be placed in that folder. There were five airfield files in the form e.g. EGPB_ADEX_ND_ALT.bgl for Sumburgh, Tingwall, Scatsta (though that looked OK when I went there), Papa Stour and Whalsay which are presumably altitude adjustment/exclusion files. Removing them has cured the problem.
Thanks again.

Mervyn

iaing

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 06:49:31 pm »
Hi Mervyn

Good to hear that you have sorted out the problems.

Iain
Scotflight

mervynh

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 10:17:59 pm »
I even sorted out the pics in the first post ;D Error was in the web addresses.

Mervyn

Mogget

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »
I am glad that I read this thread. After installing the "Photo Scenery only" upgrade, I had exactly the same problem at those five airfields. Removing those files in the World/Scenery folder has solved the problem.....apart from the fact that quite a few houses (and one or two walls) are floating slightly above the ground near Whalsay airfield. What I mean here is that one side of them is up in the air, rather than the entire object. Objects elsewhere do not seem to exhibit this problem, so I am curious to know why it happens here...

By the way, I have an airfield called ARM1 in the list. Is that supposed to be there? When I loaded it, I was on a quayside near a ferry terminal.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 09:04:53 pm by Mogget »

iaing

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:23:49 am »
Hi Chris

I think we should just be clear here that your initial problems were nothing to do with the Scotflight installation but caused by residual files left from another scenery install.

I will check out the buildings etc around Whalsay Airfield and make good where appropriate.
The much higher level of terrain detail with the photo scenery does mean that some objects which may have sat firmly on the ground against the default terrain,  don't now do so.  We had tried to rectify this on objects viewed close to where one might expect your aircraft to be,  but obviously we need to do some more work for a future update.
Please ignore the ARM1 entry,  it should have disappeared.  Again we will remove this for an update.

IainG
Scotflight

Mogget

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 04:58:50 pm »
I think we should just be clear here that your initial problems were nothing to do with the Scotflight installation but caused by residual files left from another scenery install.

Yes, sorry about that, Iain. I should have made it clear that the files I needed to remove were from a freeware O&S package, and have nothing whatsoever to do with Scotflight. I am very impressed with the amount of detail that you have added around even very small airfields in the O&S region, and I recommend this upgrade package to everyone!

iaing

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 07:44:21 am »
Hi Chris

No problem,  appreciate your comments.

IainG
Scotflight