Author Topic: Coming soon  (Read 9163 times)

iaing

Coming soon
« on: October 05, 2013, 10:23:25 am »
Hi all

Just an updateon what is in the pipeline.
For those who have or are thinking of getting Orbx EU Scotland we are close to producing a first volume of airfields specifically designed to work with this product.  At the moment  we can confirm that versions of the following airfields will feature:-

Oban
Perth
Cumbernauld
Inverness
Fife
Benbecula
Kirkwall
Machrahanish
Stornoway
East Fortune
Kirknewton
Knockbain Farm
Charterhall - Duns

Some screenshots to follow.

Inverness

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fort George Inverness

Oban Airport

Perth Airport

Plockton Airfield

For customers who already have a full version of Scotflight this will be a free.

We are also looking to update our 'Standard' version ie compatible with default FSX and many of the above airfields,  in updated form,  will feature in this update,  together with some airfields that so far are missing from our 'Standard' product.

Iain
Scotflight
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:05:02 pm by iaing »

nmurray

• Email
Re: Coming soon
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:26:38 pm »
If I understand correctly in that there will be an update for 'Scotflight for FSX Standard' then this is very good news. I have used Scotflight Standard since 2010 and I don't believe there has been any updates in that period. I was beginning to believe this product had been forgotten with all the focus on photo scenery.

lefty

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 09:53:23 am »
Hello chaps ! Having given up simming some years ago , I now find myself retired and keen to get going again.

I've done a fresh install of FSX, Scotflight v2.1 and R.A.F  (see, I kept all those codes !)

I've been considering splashing out on the VFR scenery, (if only to get a decent Edinburgh Airport)
but your mention of Orbx has made me think a bit. It is a scenery which seems to arouse controversy, but what I've seen so far looks OK.  Obviously it would be good to spend around a third of the amount to get the whole of Scotland covered -I'm a poor old pensioner, remember - but I am confused as to the compatibilities with Scotflight, and which airports are covered by Orbx - there seems to be no way of finding out.  Advice welcome.

Mike Wilkinson

Mike R

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 05:31:53 pm »
Hi Mike.  Welcome back to FSX. If you're considering ORBX Scotland then your existing Scotflight scenery is likely to give you problems. Some airfields work perfectly (Kirkwall, Benbecula, Stornoway for example). Others, (Islay, Inverness, Sumburgh) have some issues but.....fear not! As you can see above, Iain is in progress of producing a version of Scotflight that will work with the ORBX scenery.

The ORBX scenery airports are basically all the airfields that are represented in FSX slightly jazzed up and a more detailed Dundee. They are not in any way as accurate reproductions of Scottish Airfields as those in the Scotflight packages.

I actually use and like ORBX Scotland but I don't want to be unable to use Scotflight and will be getting the ORBX compatible Scotflight when it's released. I do have a small criticism of ORBX Scotland and that is that Orkney, Shetland, Harris, Lewis and the Uists have too many trees. However, when I say that, it's not a major issue and there are a few of us who are attempting to get ORBX to carry out some forestry.

A lot of what you decide to do is going to depend on the sort of flying you want to do and how high is your CPU power as many complex add ons will reduce your frame rate and possibly your enjoyment. i have to say I don't find the ORBX or Scotflight scenery hard on my PC However,  if you decide to go for, say, UK2000 Edinburgh for a really detailed Edinburgh then that might.

Forgive me if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs here but it isn't a problem to mix your add ons provided they are correctly layered in your 'scenery library' in FSX. For example, ORBX scotland would come below Scotflight but UK2000 Edinburgh would come above Scotflight, (if you decided to go down that route).

I hope this is of some help and I apologise to Iain for mentioning other companies products but as you can see, I wouldn't be without Scotflight!

All the best.

Mike

lefty

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 06:18:20 pm »
Hi Mike
I have a reasonably up-to-date rig - (i5-3550, Radeon HD7870 card, 8Gb RAM) so can handle fairly complex stuff.
I have been a great fan of Scotflight and greatly respect the advice I have always been given, but the advent of photo scenery has made things a bit hairy for the non-techno like myself. .  In the past I have found some weird incompatibilites with various add-on sceneries, as Iain may remember, so I shall tread warily !
Reading between the lines, I'll probably take the hit and go VFR....
I appreciate your help - thanks, Mike

bigmack

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 03:45:06 pm »
I'm a owner of the FSX Scotflight standard package. If I understand correctly it will not be upgraded or made compatible to use with the new orbx Scotland scenery?

If I want to use orbx scenery then I must purchase another version of Scotflight that is compatible?

Thanks for any clarification

Bill M

iaing

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 07:44:29 pm »
Hi Bill

I think you need to go back and read this thread from the beginning.
I did state in my opening post that it was our intention to upgrade our 'Standard' version and indeed the work I am doing at this very moment is towards that goal.  However when you are getting close to 70 things tend to slow up so I will have to ask you to be patient
I can tell you that our 'Standard' version is never going to be compatible with Orbx scenery,  so two versions are needed.
We have made a first package of 19 airfields available now and as I have also stated in this thread as an owner of our Standard version our first version of our Orbx compatible product will be a freeby.  The airfields not in our package will of course be covered by the Orbx product and although they have been enhanced,  they fall far short of the detail offered in our package.
So,  I think,  you have to decide whether you want to go down the road of Orbx or stick to our Standard package

Iain
Scotflight