Author Topic: VFR Photographic Scenery Scotland Central  (Read 6016 times)

Cruachan

VFR Photographic Scenery Scotland Central
« on: June 18, 2013, 01:33:45 am »
Hi Iain,

Any news yet? Horizon seem to have been working on this for ages. Sorry if I seem a tad impatient but some time back I think I recall you hinting at some frustration about the delay. Just wondering whether you've heard how it's progressing.

Regards,

Mike

TonyM

• Testers
    • Email
Re: VFR Photographic Scenery Scotland Central
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 02:22:12 pm »
Mike,
I have been working on Volume 7 from early days. I believe I was the first outside the company to receive an Alpha copy so I could start making bled files for the airfields and also for some of the Scotflight models.

At that time it was a patchwork quilt of tile colours and contained as many holes as a Swiss cheese where there was no photo data.

As photo data has become available the holes have been filled and expectations of a delivery date made public. Unfortunately flying weather hasn't been good this year for the camera planes. When it was good on occasion they were unavailable due to other work  and sometimes they were set to go and the weather wasn't.

I am aware that some data was received and it was hoped the end was in site. Then several tiles were found to be blurred or stretched requiring retakes.

As Flightstore are footing the bills they too would like to see it released to start getting some money back. Horizon would like to see it released to complete the contract they have to produce the data for 'our' use.

Each delay is costing the producers because as customers there is an expectation of what the final product should cost. If too much it won't sell, if not enough, then no profit.

A plus side to the delays, Scotflight for Volume 7 should be ready for release with or shortly after the volume itself. Earth simulation are now back at work following Darren's illness and Treescapes for Volume 7 should be available at or shortly after the Volume release.

I don't know the release date for any of the products but I suspect we are weeks not months away.

Regards,

Tony

Cruachan

Re: VFR Photographic Scenery Scotland Central
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 08:40:25 pm »
Hi Tony,

Many thanks for such an informative reply. I imagine you were not obliged to provide as much detail but this is just what is needed to allay any anxieties I and others may have been feeling regarding whether we we were ever likely to see Vol 7.

I suspected the weather was the major factor behind the delays. It must have involved an extraordinary effort to obtain full photographic coverage and one can understand the frustrations felt by everyone concerned when the results were less than perfect and areas needed to be revisited.

Once again, thank you for going that extra mile to help reassure us.

Kind regards,

Mike