Author Topic: Scotflight for Orbx VOL 4 - NOW AVAILABLE  (Read 7463 times)

iainm

• http://flightsim.computing.dundee.ac.uk
Scotflight for Orbx VOL 4 - NOW AVAILABLE
« on: June 18, 2016, 10:37:18 am »
We are delighted to announce the release of Scotflight for Orbx Volume 4 "Island Hopping".

If you have Scotflight for Orbx Volumes 1-3, this new volume adds all of the remaining island airfields and helipads in Scotland, including St Kilda, Flannan Light and Castlebay Hospital.

Volume 4 includes many island lighthouses and ferry terminals and (for the first time in Scotflight for Orbx) custom moving ship traffic around the islands, including many Caledonian MacBrayne, Northlink and council ferries.

Volume 4 also includes five missions (for FSX / FSX Steam only) which together take you on an island-hopping tour of all the Scottish island airfields.

Volume 4 is priced at £17.49, but users of the earlier volumes 1-3 can purchase at the special price of £9.99 (this installer will ask for keycodes from the earlier volumes). A four-volume pack is also available at a reduced price.

For details and to view screenshots of all of the Scotflight for Orbx volumes, please visit:
http://www.scotflightscenery.com/Product19.htm

All Scotflight for Orbx volumes are compatible with FSX, FSX Steam and Prepar3D (all versions up to 3).

Regards,

Iain M.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:58:15 pm by iainm »

rohan

Re: Scotflight for Orbx VOL 4 - NOW AVAILABLE
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 02:35:25 pm »
Iain,
I just tried to buy this and PayPal, yet again, came up with options to either use or set up an account with them - that is, no guest account option.  Since I do have an account but refuse to allow this to record my credit card details, I wasn't able to buy at this time.  Guess I'll try again later ...

Regards,
Ro
 :'(

iainm

• http://flightsim.computing.dundee.ac.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 10:01:42 pm »
Dear Ro,

It's difficult to know how to advise regarding PayPal, as things may look different to different users.

However, when I purchase items from eBay, I am given the option to pay via PayPal or by card; the latter still goes through PayPal, but does not need me to log into my PayPal account, and I use that if I want to pay with a card that's not linked to my PayPal account. Is that the option you're expecting to see when making a purchase here? Unfortunately, we have no control over the options that PayPal offers you.

Regards,

Iain M.

rohan

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 06:50:48 am »
Iain,
yes, that's exactly my position and usage of PayPal.  Normally, when a supplier has an arrangement with them there are two options to be offered to prospective purchasers - either compulsory use of a PayPal account or use of the guest account, in which they simply handle the transaction without recording the payment details.  Normally, with the latter, there's a way to make use of an existing account as well.

However, every now and then, instead of offering the guest account, PayPal will present to the purchaser just the use of an existing account or the ability to create a new one.  I suppose they see this as a way of recruiting new members, but personally I see it as an annoying intrusion into my privacy, given that I do NOT want my credit card details held in yet another on-line repository with the potential for theft of my details.

The result, for me, is to force me to cancel the transaction, and rethink whether I really want to buy whatever it was that I was already trying to purchase.  About half the time, I just don't bother trying again, resulting in lost sales for the potential supplier.

However, the loss of use of the guest account isn't usually permanent for any given supplier, unless of course their arrangement is for mandatory use of an account.  Typically, the guest account becomes available again after a few days.  Naturally, if the supplier has a sale on, then the chance of a lost sale goes up considerably ...

And, yes, I do understand that suppliers like yourselves have no ability to prevent PayPal from continuing this abhorrent practice.  However, you are likely to have more influence over them than a mere end user, especially one who doesn't have an account or has already spent years battling against their restrictive practices and a consequent refusal to cancel an existing account !

Sorry if either you or your members think this is dragging the subject way O/T, but I feel that the more people who know how PayPal operate, the better the chance that they may change their ways.

And, yes, I will be coming back to try and buy this again - I've already invested far too much in your products to not do so ...

Regards,
Ro

;)

Cruachan

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 11:05:38 am »
Hi,

I have used PayPal for years and never encountered any issues. In fact, before completing a transaction I always look for a PayPal option. Far better than scattering your details all over the Internet by entering your credit card details at every site you make your purchases. PayPal hold my information and I believe their security arrangements are robust. It's good to retain a healthy degree of paranoia during Internet activity but, in the case of PayPal, IMHO the convenience offered far outways any possible or perceived risk. Ask yourself when you make a purchase how certain you can be that a key logger isn't covertly recording your credit/debit card details? Also, don't forget that using a credit card ensures you are covered by the Provider in the event the transaction goes south or some unlawful transactions take place.

Mike

rohan

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 02:27:11 pm »
It seems that PayPal are yet again changing the rules about using their systems.  The "guest" account is no more, and has been or is about to be replaced by "PayPal Account Optional".  I found this page linked on their purchase page some minutes ago -
https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/merchantpaymentweb?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/PolicyPrivacyWax-outside

- when I tried to use the old guest system to buy a product from an US supplier.  When I asked for the transaction to be conducted in USD rather than GBP (because any exchange rate is better than theirs), the process got stuck in a loop in which I kept being taken back to the page where you enter your details, from which some of my previously entered details had been removed.

The really annoying thing is that the policy for this new system states that a user is only allowed to make 10 transactions using this system before being forced to have and use an account.

If they are going to force users to have an account, then you may want to rethink how you handle payments in the future.

regards,
Ro

::)

Cruachan

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 05:55:50 pm »
Hi Ro,

Why not just bite the bullet, set up an account and spare yourself all this unnecessary anx?.Why are you so averse to the idea? As I have said, I have been using PayPal for many years and never had a problem. It's good to be cautious while on the Internet but, if you will forgive me for saying so, you really are cutting off your nose to spite your face with this one. If there were genuine issues of a significant nature then PayPal would be dead and gone a long time ago. The fact is there aren't and it continues to flourish as a convenient and, yes, safe method of making transaction payments.

Regards,
Mike

rohan

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 06:19:36 am »
Mike,
at the risk of insulting you, did you even bother to read what I wrote in yesterday's post ?

Two weeks ago, the guest account facility worked properly. Yesterday, it did not as my attempted purchase was dumped into a loop because they changed the code on that page.  If they were a reputable company, then I would have expected that the changes would have included some statement about the change from "guest" to "optional" facility.  The one change that could be seen was the appearance of a link in the bottom right hand corner pointing to the page for which I included the link above.  Whatever other changes were made prevented the page from working as it has in the past.  What happened to Quality Assurance testing before the changed code was released for public use ?  What about prior notification that the facility is changing before any changes are made to the released system ?

You say that you've been using an account for "many years" without problems.  Given the above, all that means is that you have been lucky.  It's a giant leap from that reality to your opinion that it means that their system is "safe".

Furthermore, in an earlier post, I stated that I do have an account, which I've held for "many years", which I suspect is much longer than your period.  In fact, before I could make use of that account, I discovered that the new account procedures that this would invoke were discriminating against non-U.S. customers.  When I complained about that, the account was suspended without explanation.  When I asked for the account to be deleted instead, my requests (following their other procedures) were ignored.  Later, I discovered that a suspended account couldn't even use the guest facility.  Later still, I received a marketing email from them from which I somehow discovered that the account was no longer suspended.

Between creating the account and it being suspended, I read many posts on their support forum about customers who had had problems.  Of course, some of those could have been caused by the customers themselves since "user errors" are nothing new.  However, it was apparent from some posts that the service had been hacked (as we would say now) at some time in the past.

Something else to bear in mind is that they are an American company, which means they are not bound by either U.K. or European law.  As such, the personal data held in your account has no legal protection.  Moreover, I've recently been plagued with a deluge of emails about a new, expensive flight simulator, which is actually a scam because that simulator (FlightGear) is freely available on the web.  The emails have been arriving at both my present personal email address and my previous personal email address, which was discontinued a few years ago.  PayPal is one of the few companies who knew both of those addresses, but of course I have no evidence that they sold their mailing list, and I sincerely doubt whether they would admit to having done so.

Even worse is that they hold the details entered when you use the "guest" or "optional" facility without stating what details those are, in contravention of the U.K. Data Protection act and E.U. directive.

In short, in my opinion they are just another predatory American company, who will do anything to get their hands on your account, after which you have no choice but to accept whatever changes they make to their terms and conditions.  Just try cancelling your account ...

Finally, I suspect that you're not one to distinguish between "need" and "want" when it comes to buying something.  I happen to have principles, which means that I recognise that I don't actually need anything that's available for any of my simulators, though there are a few things that I do or would want.  So far, I have made a conscious choice to use the "guest" facility to buy some add-ons including volume 4 of ScotFlight for Orbx.  Given all of the above, there is no guarantee that I will do so in the future, for there is no way that I will ever give PayPal details of my main credit or debit cards.

Ro

:P

iaing

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 07:07:43 am »
Hi

We are now going round in circles here and also getting personal,  so I have locked this topic.

Iain
Scotflight